Frequently Asked Questions
- Maintenance-free – really!
- No oiling
- Easy to clean
- Highly durable
- Stays soft and pliable – no stiffening over time or because of weather
- Poll measurement is taken from corner of mouth, up over poll behind the ears, to corner of mouth on other side.
- Girth measurement is taken right behind the front legs, all the way around.
|Mini – A||28-29″||40-43″|
|Mini – B||30-32″||44-48″|
|Mini – C||33-34″||48.5-52″|
- Mini A, B, C, and Pony have 1/2″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1″ traces.
- Mini C is a Chimacum Tack special size designed to fit mini’s who are a bit big for a Mini B and a bit small for a Pony size.
- Large Pony has 5/8″ Neck and Hip straps, and 1″ traces.
- Cob-Horse and Large Horse have 3/4″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1.1/4″ traces
- Draft has 1″ Neck and Hip Straps, and 1.1/2″ traces
We can make any size you need, with any strapping you desire – both width and color. Many sizes and styles are in stock. However, we don’t stock draft parts or harnesses. Please allow lead time for draft harness products. If you have special needs or questions, please give us a call and we’ll be glad to take care of your order as quickly as possible. We make harness for all sorts of animals and functions.
How do I measure for...
- Measure from the corner of the horse’s mouth on one side, over the poll (behind the ears) to the corner of the horse’s mouth on the other side. This is called the poll measurement.
- Measure from temple to temple across the horse’s brow. This is called the browband measurement.
- Measure all the way around the horse’s nose approximately 2 fingers below the tear bones (located about midway down the horse’s face). This is the location for a cavason. The measurement is called the Noseband measurement. Bridle measurements for various sizes are included with the products.
|To measure your animal for a collar, use a collar measure as shown, or make one from carpenter’s squares or cut one from cardboard. Place this caliper as shown. The collar measurement requires a straight line thru the center of the horses neck. To measure a Collar, not the animal, place a ruler against the collar cap and measure to the inside brim of the throat as illustrated right. It is easily done if you lay the collar on a flat surface and measure with a tape measure inside the rim from top to bottom.|
For size of draft, measure around the collar at the widest part, of one side near the bottom.
|When fitting a horse with a collar there should not be any more space between the horse’s neck and the throat of the collar than will allow your four fingers, when laid flat on the inside of the throat of the collar, to pass freely.|
If care is taken in fitting the collar and adjusting the hames so the hame tug comes over the center of the draft, you will have eliminated all trouble with sore necks and shoulders and the horse will work with ease and comfort. More collared horses are ruined by collars which are fitted too large than from any other cause.
A. From corner of mouth, over poll, to other corner of mouth.B. Length around nose, taken about two fingers width below the prominent cheek bone.C. Length of browband – temple to temple.D. Length of horse measured just on the side. Not center of chest to center of tail.E. Height of horse from lowest hair on mane to the ground.F. Girth – measured at the heart girth as shown.G. Length of back from position of harness saddle to base of tail. Line should be straight, not conforming to horse’s body.
H. Point of shoulder to point of shoulder on the other side.I. Point of hip to the point of hip on the other side.
How do I...
- Pleasure Driving Harness – Traditional Buggy Harness
- Mini thru draft sizes including special sizes for mini donkeys and mules.
- Breastcollar or Collar/Hames style
- Traditional pleasure harness is styled the same way it has been for at least 200+ years. The breast collar style features a straight breast strap that is one long unit from trace connector slot, around the front of the animal to the trace connector slot on the other side. Traditional pleasure harness has a well padded saddle (without a tree) and s simple bridle with blinds and winker stays – typically with square blinds for horses, pigeon wing blinds for donkeys and mules.
- Cruppers are soft folded leather made in such a way that nothing can rub on the sensitive skin on the underside of your horse’s tail.
- Hardware can be stainless or brass although we make brass harness as special order and do not take it back.
- Traditional pleasure harness is available in single or pair. Standard, deluxe or super deluxe styles.
We make our traditional pleasure harness with care and attention to detail. Each part is carefully cut and fitted and stitched using traditional equipment. The difference now is that we use contemporary materials along with authentic time honored craftsmanship. Traditional pleasure or buggy harness is well suited for casual pleasure driving,
- Pleasure or Competition Harness – Comfy Fit Harness
- Mini thru draft sizes including special sizes for mini donkeys and mules.
- Breastcollar, Comfy Collar or Collar/Hames style
- Comfy Fit Harness has several features differentiating it from Traditional harness.
- Comfy fit Breastcollars are available in three styles, V curved, Deluxe (to allow more shoulder movement), and the Comfy Collar which is in essence a combination of a neck collar and a deluxe breastcollar. Each collar style is designed to minimize airway constriction and ensure free movement. There is also a specially designed breastcollar just for mini donkeys and mules.
- Comfy Fit Breastcollars, breechings, saddles, neck straps are well padded.and adjustable.
- Comfy fit saddles have an aluminum tree which is strong, light and semi adjustable. This gig type saddle is wrapped and padded with padding extending down the sides of the equine. Saddles are available with standard shaft loops, quick release shaft loops or sliding backbands.
- Comfy Fit Bridles feature a curved crown piece to avoid irritating ears, an integrated noseband to keep the bridle stable on the animal, nicely shaped curved blinds and your choice of browband ornaments.
- Cruppers are soft, folded leather made in such a way that nothing can rub the sensitive skin on your horse’s tail.
- Comfy fit harness is available in all sizes as single, pair or other multiple configuration.
- Specialty Harness
- Adaptive Walking Harness – designed individually for people using their VSE for walking assistance.
- Dorsal Hitch Harness – is available in traditional style or comfy fit style, made to work with a universal joint which attaches the cart to the horse from above and allows the horse to turn 360*
- Micro Mini Harness – traditional and comfy fit styles is designed specifically for the under 30″ crowd and is increasingly popular.
- Alternative harnesses have been made for a number of critters as special orders – Our current favorites can be seen at http:www.goatorama.com
- Work Harness
- Mini thru draft sizes for horses, mules and donkeys.
- Single or Team or other multiple configuration.
- Several styles other than the standard farm style: i.e. hip style breeching, New England Side backer or logging/plow harness.
- Features include a two strap breeching spider, hip drops and face ornaments
- Extra heavy pulling harness for competition from pony thru large draft sizes.
- Work harness is available in nylon or betathane.
- Work harness can be spotted with round or diamond spots, full or medium spots.
- Work harness is proportioned for your animal and heavily built for extensive use.
- Parade Harness
- Single, Team or other multiple configuration.
- Features include three strap fancy breeching spider, hip drops and face ornaments as well as tie straps, .
- Work harness is available in betathane (matte finish) or Bioplastic (shiny, patent look finish).
- Parade harness can be spotted with round or diamond spots, full or medium spots.
- Parade harness is proportioned for your animal and well built for extensive use.
And of course, if you have questions or want our input, feel free to call us! Janie is always happy to help. 360-301-1317. She answers the phone from 8am to 8pm pacific generally every day. If you don’t reach her, she will get back to you.
|Full Sweeny (FS) are for heavy and “stud like” necks, where the neck is extremely thick at the upper part of the neck.||Half Sweeny (HS) fits necks that are side and thick at the upper part of the neck. Most Draft Horses use HS.|
|Full Face (FF) or straight collars fits flat and slender necks. Most buggy horses use FF.||Mule Collars have very straight sides and are available by special order.|